Sunday, July 03, 2005

A Culture of Dissonance?

NDT has relatives visiting this weekend, so my blogging time over the past couple of days has been a bit limited. Still, I wanted to share an article from the Sunday Dallas Morning News about gay composers and American music and ask for your opinions.

Frankly, there's something in this article that bothers me -- and I can't quite summarize what it is. I definitely get a sense that the writer -- Scott Cantrell -- is trying to make a point -- that gay composers tended to write "softer", less-dissonant music and straight composers otherwise -- but I also feel like he's trying to "stretch" that point when the original work doesn't generalize to that degree (which he acknowledges).

Anyway, it's a decent read; let me know what you think.

No comments: