Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Damage

Head shot:




And from another angle:



The tube is there because canine bites are notoriously bad for creating little pockets that fill with bad bacteria and turn into abscesses; it allows air in and separation of tissues to prevent that. Fortunately, it came out today, putting an end to the "Dog of Frankenstein" wry humor around the household.

Stitches come out in a week; by then, I may be ready to go to the park where it happened again. I've just about stopped seeing that expression of panic and fear in his eyes as I was frantically and literally prying the other dog's jaws apart to free him.....and I can think about what happened without losing my composure completely.

People keep asking if I got a description of the dog and the owner. All I wanted when it happened was out of there; I wanted him home, I wanted the door shut behind me, and I wanted my baby safe. I couldn't tell you anything about the owner if you asked, and all I remember of the dog was its face.

Would that I could write or remember something more coherent. But I don't think I've ever had an experience this primal or soul-searing. As I've written before, the Mascot has gotten me through a lot, and in several cases, has been one of the few things that has kept me going.

I'm not ready for him to leave me yet.

No comments: