Friday, March 03, 2006

It Depends On What You Ask

An interesting thing, marriage.

One the one hand, we are told that not having it causes health and psychological problems.


However, on the other, we are told that having it causes myriad health and psychological problems.

Albany resident Renita Pitts, who has five kids and was married for close to 20 years, told us that having a husband can often feel like "having another child — another grown child. At least the little ones mind."

Pitts says that, except for a few years when she was working, she and her ex-husband spent most of their marriage on welfare and using drugs. On occasion, he also beat her.

"The minute my husband left, I was able to get off drugs," she said. "My whole life just opened up. I started going to school full time; I became a citizen in my community. It seemed like my life improved financially, emotionally, and physically."



The problem? The same people who are saying the one are also saying the other.


It reminds me of this sardonic nugget of humor about the message parents often send their kids; "Sex is filthy and disgusting, so you ought to save it for the person you'll marry."

No comments: