Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Why Books Should Never Carry an Age Limit

Blog Ally (I think) Michael over at GayOrbit was opining the other day about the impending release of the new Harry Potter book.

I’m 35 years old. And I just got a chill when I realized that the new Harry Potter book is going to be released in just a few days, and that I’ve pre-ordered it from Amazon.com, and I’ll have something to read on the way to work while I’m on the stinky MARTA train, but it’ll only take me a couple days to read it and I’ll just have to wait for the next one to come out or re-read Chronicles of Narnia because I just can’t wait for that to come out in the fall because it’s just going to be one of the best fantasy movies in such a long time, which you can tell if you go see the trailer that I have linked here.

I’m 35 years old.


This fell out of my subconscious this morning in my usual peruse of the Dallas Morning News over my milk and toaster pastries when I noticed one of my favorite DMN columnists, Victoria Loe Hicks, going toe-to-toe with Los Angeles Times columnist Joel Stein about adults who read Harry Potter books.

Let's just say I got your back, Vick and Michael!

Oh, and by the way, when I say in the title that books should not carry an age limit, I mean it. That doesn't mean that kids should be given access to any book willy-nilly; it means that parents should read it first and make the decision whether it's what they want their kids reading. That way, not only do they take active responsibility for what goes into their kids' minds, they become more literate themselves. Clever, eh?

No comments: